Gran & Dame May Whitty.

The Dame

I said in my blog "My Family and other Animals (3)" that the Actress Dame May Whitty reminds me of my gran.
After reading about her, I found out that Whitty was born in Liverpool ( where Gran was born) only a few years before!
One of my favourite most moving movie scenes centres around Whitty when she plays the crabby Lady Beldon in Mrs Miniver. Lady Beldon always wins the village flower show with the "Beldon Rose", a fact she is always proud of, even though she is one of the Judges!!! The gracefull Mrs Miniver (Greer Garson) makes Whitty face the fact that the rose of the Station master, shy Mr Ballard , is a better one than hers, and in front of all the local villagers, Lady Beldon states that the winner of the Beldon Rose is indeed the station master Mr Ballard. She then somewhat reluctantly states that second prize goes to her! The crowd cheer for the popular Mr Ballard, then stand to cheer Lady Beldon for making the decision, and the scene where we see her in tears at their support is wonderfully moving!!

Mrs Miniver is also one of Chris's fav films

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes